Monday 14 May 2018

[Review] Tempting the Laird, by Julia London



Title Tempting the Laird
Series: Highland Grooms #5
Author: Julia London
Publisher: HQN Books
Number of pages: 377
Publication date: June 26th 2018


buy the book from The Book Depository, free delivery
Synopsis:
Mystery and desire cloak the Scottish Highlands

Unruly. Unmarried. Unapologetic. Catriona Mackenzie’s reputation precedes her everywhere she goes. Her beloved late aunt Zelda taught Cat to live out loud and speak her mind, and that’s exactly what she does when Zelda’s legacy—a refuge for women in need—comes under fire. When her quest puts her in the path of the disturbingly mysterious Hamlin Graham, Duke of Montrose, Cat is soon caught up in the provocative rumors surrounding the dark duke. Never one to retreat, Cat boldly goes where no one else has dared for answers.

Shrouded in secrets, a hostage of lies, Hamlin must endure the fear and suspicion of those who believe he is a murderer. The sudden disappearance of his wife and the truth he keeps silent are a risk to his chances at earning a coveted parliamentary seat. But he’s kept his affairs tightly held until a woman with sparkling eyes and brazen determination appears unexpectedly in his life. Deadly allegations might be his downfall, but his unleashed passion could be the duke’s ultimate undoing.


Review:
I received an eARC at no cost from the author


I’ve read all the previous book on the Highland Grooms series and I have to say I really enjoyed reading this one.

Catriona Mackenzie is so fierce, she is amazing. She... reminds me of myself, to be honest, so I really identified with her character throughout the book (with her wishes and desires at least). Hamlin Graham, Duke of Montrose, was probably one of my all-time male heroes, because he was a great man, a great warden, and he is like that pretty much the whole time – even if others don’t see it.

The story was so good, so well written (just like Julia London has gotten us used to) and it just made me want to know more, about what was going to happen to Cat’s shelter, to Hamlin’s life when things changed, to everything! I know I’m not saying much, but I’m trying not to spoil anyone.

I can say it’s a wonderful story, with strong-willed, interesting characters, themes a bit different than what we usually see in historical romances but that I honestly loved seeing portrayed here.

Definitely one of my favourite books of this series.



No comments:

Post a Comment