Tuesday 30 April 2019

[Review] Highland Crown, by May McGoldrick



Title Highland Crown
Series: Royal Highlander #1
Author: May McGoldrick
Publisher: St. Martin's Paperbacks
Number of pages: 320
Publication date: April 30th 2019



Synopsis:
Inverness, 1820
Perched on the North Sea, this port town―by turns legendary and mythological―is a place where Highland rebels and English authorities clash in a mortal struggle for survival and dominance. Among the fray is a lovely young widow who possesses rare and special gifts.

WANTED: Isabella Drummond
A true beauty and trained physician, Isabella has inspired longing and mystery―and fury―in a great many men. Hunted by both the British government and Scottish rebels, she came to the Highlands in search of survival. But a dying ship’s captain will steer her fate into even stormier waters. . .and her heart into flames.

FOUND: Cinaed Mackintosh
Cast from his home as a child, Cinaed is a fierce soul whose allegiance is only to himself. . .until Isabella saved his life―and added more risk to her own. Now, the only way Cinaed can keep her safe to seek refuge at Dalmigavie Castle, the Mackintosh family seat. But when the scandalous truth of his past comes out, any chance of Cinaed having a bright future with Isabella is thrown into complete darkness. What will these two ill-fated lovers have to sacrifice to be together…for eternity?


Review:
I received an eARC at no cost from the author, and I am leaving a voluntary and honest review. Thank you.


This was the first book I’ve read of May McGoldrick (whom is actually two people) and, sadly, it just wasn’t it for me.

I really wanted to like the characters, but I found myself annoyed by Isabella, and a bit confused by Cinaed.

The book has a great premise, and the story is interesting – I love stories that have not only the romance, but something that ties everything together, and this book had that, even if it is sometimes confusing.

I really wanted to like Isabella, but she just didn’t rise to the expectations. She was a physician, and that was the most interesting part about her.

I liked Cinaed, but sometimes he was a bit confusing – completely trusting, and then suspicious, but always ready to protect Isabella… It seemed a bit forced.

Also, I’m not a fan of insta-love. And even though this was more of an insta-attraction for Isabella, it felt like insta-love to Cinaed.

There was a lot going around and sometimes it became confusing and the actions of the characters didn’t seem completely faithful to whom they were.

Sadly, I just didn’t connect with the book. It was the first book I read in 2019, and it took me a whole month to read it. Not the best introduction to this author.



No comments:

Post a Comment